Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lemon Macaron Recipe!

Hello~
I've gotten a request for a recipe for macarons, which I posted about in this post!

This makes approximately 2 dozen sandwiched cookies :)
Ingredients:
3/4 (100 gram) ground almonds
1 cup (125 gram) powdered sugar (also called confectioners sugar)
2 extra large eggs or 3 medium eggs, seperated and room temperature
Lemon extract or the peel of 1 lemon
1/4 cup (32 g) granulated sugar
Yellow Food colouring
Premade lemon curd (sorry, I got it store bought!)

1) Put the ground almonds and powdered sugar into a food processor. Pulse until a fine powder is created.
2) Sift the mixture into the bowl and set aside for later.
3) Take the whites of the egg and whip them to soft peaks (room temperature eggs whip the best!) Then slowly add in the granulated sugar till all of it is dissolved. Whip to stiff peaks. At that point you can also add in the lemon extract and coloring.
4) When it reaches stiff peaks, stop. Fold in the dry mix slowly, and about 1/3 at a time. When it's done it should be thick and ribbon like. (Some recipes say "flows like magma")
5) What I do is, I let it rest in the bowl for 15 minutes, then I transfer it to a baggie and I pipe circles onto a sheet of parchment paper (NOT wax paper, my friend made that mistake D:)
6) Let the circles rest for another 15-20 minutes.
7) Rap or bang the baking sheet or tray on a flat surface to release air bubbles and create the "pied" or frills. (lit translated: foot)
8) Bake for 10-14 minutes at 300 F /160 C.* When you tap the tops of the shell, it should be stable and not squishy.
9) Take them out of the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes
10) Fill with lemon curd and sandwich with another cookie!

*If you notice your macarons cracking after the first batch, lower the heat.

It took me alot of tries to get it right, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't turn out right the first time! Also be very precise with measurements and don't rush :D
I hope you get to try out this recipe, and tell me how it goes if you do!

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment